Wednesday, October 28, 2015

forward regression


Thus far this week I have managed to:
 

-Talk when I should have listened

-Spend half a sermon thinking about how badly I need to go shopping and how much I hate shopping (it's a vicious cycle)

-Fail someone I love not once, but twice in the same day

-Make and break a new schedule within 24 consecutive hours

-Freak out about college applications I should have taken care of sooner

-Get irritated with the people I love most in the whole world

-Feel really lame for having these problems
 

(Hi, welcome to my life!)

 ~

As I slowly sunk into this quagmire of failure, Piper's words hit me like a lifeline:
 

"Shame is a painful emotion caused by a consciousness of guilt or shortcoming or impropriety. The pain is caused not merely by our own failures but by the awareness that others see them."

          [John Piper]


At first, the quote might seem more condemning than redemptive: **sarcasm alert** "So, not only am I guilty, but I only feel the guilt because I'm worried about what other people think? Guilty and egotistical. Great! I feel so much better about myself now!!"
 

(Actually, I felt a lot worse.)
 

 Truth has a razor-sharp edge; it pierces and burns before it heals.

 ~

 Of course, I don't enjoy messing up. But it's easy to dismiss my shortcomings as mere mistakes and to flippantly say that I'll "do better next time" - unless I am aware that others saw what I did wrong. Then, my failures afflict me. I am burdened, I feel ashamed; I might even weep. But I weep because I see myself through the eyes of other people and find I am not all I wish to be.

~

I like to play with reality. When I take walks, I spin and re-spin the story of my life (present, past, future) in beautiful words. I draw on real events, embellishing them to make myself sometimes tragic, sometimes amusing, but always picturesque. Always the heroine.

And the funny thing is, I keep telling myself those stories even though they make me miserable. They make me miserable because they never come true. I know they never will.

~

Here we come to a very quiet place.

Imagine somewhere like spring. Small white flowers are dusted over the grass, a sort of starry powder. The flowers turn their little faces to the sun and open slowly, so slowly that you would never see their petals uncurl and stretch to meet the morning. They have so recently sprung from the soil.
 

the leap,

the purge, the quick humility

of witnessing a birth

 

That’s what Kay Ryan said. When I tried to explain the feeling back in March, I said this:


There is a richness underground, a sort of historical wisdom –


         A humility in these springtime stars.

 

I like Kay Ryan’s words better, but that’s beside the point. Here’s what struck me: I’m not the only one who associates birth and humility. It’s me, Kay Ryan the poet of sunshine, and someone else…

~

…that would be Jesus.
 

“And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, and said, ‘Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.” –Matthew 18:2-4.


I spend so much time trying to be a parent-figure, a mentor-figure, a hero-figure. Constantly, I seek to mold myself into someone of worth and significance. I suppose that is not all bad.

But I spend so little time being comforted because someone who loves me and who is stronger than me says everything is going to be OK. These days, I don’t often squeal with delight because “GUYSthere’saLIZARDonthewindow” (always pronounced without spacing). When was the last time I sobbed because a baby bird fell out of his nest? And what happened to the times I hugged crying people instead of listing off ways for them to fix their problems?

Peace, wonder, tenderness, compassion - childlike traits. And they come because children are small, know they are small, and are content to be small. A child is happily subordinate. A child trusts without understanding.

There is such freedom, such rest, in not being at the center of all my stories. It’s lovely to know someone much more competent than I am will save the day.

~

Here is where we find the gentle side of truth.

I have plenty of failures. Layers upon layers of them, and we’re still peeling! (I say we, because it’s a collaborative effort between God, the world, and myself). But when I can acknowledge those failures and lay them at Jesus’ feet with a spirit of genuine repentance and childlike trust, there is rest. When faith lets me see the world through God’s eyes (not others’ eyes, least of all my own), I am freed from this shackling shame.

By the grace of God, I will be a child.

 
artsy picture

artsy picture

 
realistic picture

PC to Renee, who is wonderful
 
 
“O Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.”
[Psalm 131:1-2]

 

25 comments:

  1. Thank you, Aubrey, for sharing your heart. Beautifully written and spot on!
    At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Matthew 11:25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Matt 11:25 - Praise the Lord for the way He has done things! Thanks for your encouragement and for the reminder :)

      Delete
  2. How beautiful to live by faith! How wonderful to trust that God is God and we are not; that He knows the answers and is so wise that we cannot understand His ways. Children are curious yet content with not being perfect. You are both, sweet one! LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Curious and yet content" - I will hold onto that phrase! Love you too!!

      Delete
  3. Wow Aubrey, you are such a talented writer!! I agree with you, there is peace and rest when we lay down our failures at His feet. I miss you, Aubrey!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia! It's so good to hear from you!! Thanks for your encouragement :)

      Delete
  4. Love this and love you. I've read this so many times, because I need the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you, Hannah Martin! To tell the truth, I've had to revisit this post several times myself. Growth is never this tidy upward trajectory, is it?? We have to slip and fall and get back up on our feet again. Thankful that God is faithful to take our hands and guide us :)

      Delete
  5. Microsoft office has a different version, and the entire version has the different setup file. Some of the version is Office 2013, Office 2016 and Office 365 etc. Go to www.office.com/setup and redeem your key.here are multiple manufacturers making printers for home and office use with varied range as printer series per the need and affordability of different customers. Printer Tech Support. It has become one of the most useful computer hardware devices that allow people to convert computer generated typescript into a physical printed document. Norton is one of the most reliable antivirus providers in the market. Norton is delivering top rated protection from mobile devices and computers. Norton has 3 antivirus packages
    www.norton.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  6. How you install or reinstall Office 365 or Office 2016 depends on whether your Office product is part of an Office for home or Office for business plan.
    office setup
    office.com/setup
    www.office.com/setup
    Gmail customer service is a third party technical support service for Gmail users when they face any technical issue or error in their Gmail account.
    Gmail Tech Help

    ReplyDelete
  7. office.com/setup : Developed by Microsoft, MS-Office is a popular productivity suite that is being used by millions of consumers and businesses across the world. It comprises several applications such as PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Word, and Access. You can choose its trial version that is free for 30 days or download the paid version from office setup. All you need to do is to enter a valid product key at office.com/setup.
    norton.com/setup , www.norton.com/setup ,
    norton setup

    ReplyDelete
  8. avg com retail activate - avg is one of the worldwide PC security programming organizations that have been working since years for demonstrating a cautious layer to the clients' information against all the online dangers like infection assaults, spyware, malware and some more, that may hurt the individual just as the expert information of the clients and abuse it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get started with Microsoft Office by downloading and installing. You need the dedicated 25-digits product key for activation. Get the Office setup from www.office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  10. For Downloading, Installing and activating the Office product key, visit www.office.com/setup and Get Started by now Office setup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Download the McAfee setup on mcafee.com/activate and unlock the premium features security by visiting www.mcafee.com/activate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this website.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance”
    between user friendliness and visual appearance.
    I must say that you’ve done a superb job with this. In addition, the
    blog loads extremely fast for me on Internet explorer. Excellent Blog!
    letasoft sound booster product key
    remouse license key
    logic pro x crack
    easeus partition master pro crack

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me know if you are looking for a writer for your blog.
    They have some really good posts and I think I would be a good resource.
    If you ever want to lose weight, I would gladly do it
    Write content for your blog in exchange for a link to mine.
    If you are interested, please send me an email. Thank!
    drivermax crack
    radmin crack
    driverdoc crack
    loopback license key
    keyshot crack
    poweriso crack
    eset nod32 antivirus crack
    avast premium security crack

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a great site, but I wanted to know if you know it
    any community forum dedicated to the same topics
    discussed in this article? I really want to be a part
    of a society where they can receive information from others with knowledge and interests.
    If you have any suggestions, please let us know. I appreciate!
    fabfilter pro q crack
    sure cuts a lot pro crack

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for an informative blog. The other location
    Could I have this kind of information written?
    Ideal way? Ideal way? I have a company I've just begun operating on and I've been looking forward to
    Such information.
    cyberlink powerdvd crack
    adobe flash player crack
    movavi screen recorder crack
    inpixio photo clip crack

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very useful software for you and me. No errors were found during the check.
    You can use it. I hope you like it.
    avast free antivirus crack
    skype crack

    ReplyDelete
  17. The post is quite informative as I could derive a lot on the topic by reading through it.
    benefits drinking radish juice during pregnancy

    ReplyDelete

  18. This is extremely intriguing and valuable information.
    I appreciate you giving this information.
    share your knowledge with us
    Please let us know.
    Thank you for giving this information.
    acdsee video studio crack
    acdsee video studio crack
    adobe acrobat reader dc crack

    ReplyDelete